Saturday, November 28, 2009

What are the most important cosmetic features to you in buying a home (not brand new).?

Tell me if you notice things like:


carpet


window treatments


fixtures and faucets


lighting, fans etc.


paint


landscaping....and how important these are in making the home appealing to you.





Thanks!What are the most important cosmetic features to you in buying a home (not brand new).?
I have to agree with the posters who have said that cosmetics are not the important things when looking at a house. I made that mistake once, and will never make it again.





The roof, plumbing, HVAC, electric- those are the things that must be considered.





So, to answer your question, I pull up the carpet to look at the sub-floor; behind the window treatments to check the operation of the windows (each and every one of them); flip every wall switch; turn on every faucet and flush every toilet (look under every sink for signs of leaks); check the AC unit (and ask questions about its age %26amp; maintenance); check the breaker panel; look in the attic for signs of water intrusion.





I have never kept the carpet that was in a house, I have never NOT painted before I moved in, I have never kept the existing window treatments.





I will make an offer, or not, based on all of those things. Cosmetics are not important to an educated home buyer.What are the most important cosmetic features to you in buying a home (not brand new).?
When I bought my home it was ugly! Probably the ugliest on the block! But that was what I was looking for. something cheap and beat up that I could fix to my exact liking. And that's what I've done. So far (two years almost) I've replaced about 20 windows, added a nice big bay window, re-carpeted one room, and I just did vinyl siding on the whole exterior, and had central air installed. Definitely plenty more I would like to do, just not financially obtainable at this point, so we're saving up to re-do one room at a time! Good Luck to you! When you find the right house your heart will tell you it's home!
i look past the cosmetics and look at the wiring, plumbing, roof, framing, water/fire damage, insulation, foundation, siding.





i can always change the way the house looks
The condition of the roof. You'll get an immediate report the first time it rains.
The most important thing is that your wife likes it.





www.hqhomes.com


www.cabellahomeloans.com
All cosmetics are important, but that is primarily for ';curb appeal'; to have the complete package, the property has to be in a good area, or an area where it, the house itself, has and speaks flair when you see it because of the cosmetics. And of course cosmetics have no real effect on the appraisal, which is the key, the cosmetics really come up after it is determined what the property is worth. Cosmetics can turn a house into a home.
I noticed all of the things you mentioned. There was another condo we almost bought before this one. It was in the same buiding as my grandmother. My mom and cousin were nearby also. We made an offer but then I decided I wanted to redo everything in it. The condo we are currently in has some things I would like to change also but it was stuff I can live with for the next 2 years.....The major selling point was that the laundry room is upstairs with the bedrooms.
those features you mentioned are nice too but the more important features are the windows themselves, the doors, interior and exterior, the cabinets, basin, i mean all those can be replaced for your liking accept if i were looking at whats already there.. thats what i would look for...


hope i was helpful
Forget the cosmetics. They can all be modified with very little expense. Look at the foundation, roof, windows, heating and air. The big ticket items.
I notice EVERYTHING and am not swayed by anything. It's all taken into consideration when I formulate my offer.





Carpet: Should be clean. If it's worn out, I'll adjust my offer.





Windows treatments: Useless. Might confilct with my ';stuff';. It it's coordinated with your furniture, take it down before showing. I want to see the widows, not the drapes.





Fixtures %26amp; faucets: No leaks. I might be changing them out anyway, but leaks mean that I'll be looking for other damage.





Lighting %26amp; fans: Meaningless. I can always install my own.





Paint: Should be a neutral color. Non-glossy as I'll probably be repainting anyway.





Landscaping: Simple is better. If it's ornate that means more upkeep for me. That's not a plus!
The bathroom and the kitchen are most important. Like the fixtures, space, paint...just about everything.
Carpet is VERY important especially in bedrooms. I have no problem in repainting after buying a house, but I would hate to buy a house with old wallpaper on the walls. :-P I would want lots of grass in the front yard. Believe it or not I am really picky when it comes to things like this. ;-)
I'm in the procces of buying a home and I believe the cosmetics of a house are extremely important. New carpet would be best, but if its not new or it's not a more nuetral color, then I'd ask for a carpet allowance from the seller. When it comes to window treatments, the most important is the house at least comes with mini blinds. If you want to change it later, you can. I'd rather a house that had nuetral color paint when I bought it. So if I wanted to paint I wouldn't have to worry about not being able to put a light color over a dark color that was already there. As for landscaping, it depends on whether you have young children and there is enough yard for them to play and landscaping.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
skin moles